Thursday, September 23, 2010

In Loving Memory


(singing)
There's a bright side some..where
There's a bright side some..where
Don't you rest un... til you find it
There's a bright side some..where

When choirs wore robes & before praise teams were established, there were the little old ladies who sat on the front 2 pews on the left hand side of (the old) Malaby's Crossroad Baptist Church (the one with the bright red carpet, red cushioned pews, and a picture of Rev. G.A. Jones Sr. hanging on the wall). These women, adorned with hats, dressed in their 2 piece skirt suits, never without panty hose and pocketbooks sang without instruments but with clapping their hands, stomping their feet and the occasional tambourine -- a melody that had a way of aligning with every heart. There may have been about a dozen of them... each of whom had a song. Ms. Mary King always sang "C'mon in the Room", Ms. Lucille Garner always sang "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms", and my Grandma, Cora Mae Morgan always sang "Bright Side". I can still hear her singing...

I will go to my secret closet
I will fall down... on my knees
I will talk to, my Heavenly Father
Just as much as, I please

I can still see her...the beauty mark that sat on her right cheek, the wrinkled thick brown hands that prepared countless, delicious meals & bandaged many of my tomboy scars, the eyes that had a way making me feel so transparent because she knew everything without me having to say a word. In my dreams, I can feel her arms wrapped around me... the hugs I've missed & desperately needed over the past 5 1/2 years. Hugs & conversations that feel so real, makes me almost wish that I didn't have to wake up & could live in the dream, at least a little while longer...

(singing)
There is more love... some...where
There is more love... some...where
Don't you rest un...til you find it
There is more love... some...where

My Grandma was/is my Shero. She wasn't perfect and probably didn't do everything right... that would be an impossible standard to measure up to. But, in my eyes, she could have done no wrong. She was the epitome of a woman... strong, hard working, honest, and always stood by her children and grandchildren no matter what. I only hope that I can someday be a portion of the woman that she was... and I hope to make her proud of the woman that I am becoming.

(singing)
If you can..not sing like an..gels
If you can..not, preach like Paul
You can tell of, Jesus' goodness
And He died for, us all

Tomorrow would have been her 87th birthday but God saw fit to call her home 5 years ago. Words cannot express how much I miss her. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her. I look at my son & wonder what she would think of him? I especially wish he'd had the opportunity to know her and enjoy her as much as I did. I realize that a lot of people don't get 81 years but my Grandma did. And I realize too that a lot of people don't get 26 years with their Grandma but I did. So while I'm hurt because she isn't here with me physically, she is and will always be with me... deep in my heart.

(singing)
There's a bright side some..where
There's a bright side some..where
I won't rest un... til I find it
There's a bright side some..where


Until we meet again...
RIP Cora Mae Morgan, the BEST Grandma ever!
September 24, 1923-May 1, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP