Monday, May 30, 2011

What Time Is It?

There are 24 hours in each day. The average adult sleeps 7-8.5 hours per day which brings us down to 15.5 hours remaining in the day. Without the option to work from home, many of us travel to and from work, even dropping off and picking up children from daycare and/or school along the way. Travel varies from person to person but lets just say we each spend a total of 1 hour driving to and from our destinations each day. Depending on our given professions, we work anywhere from 8-12 hours per day. So for the people working 8 hours each day, after sleeping, driving to and from our destinations, and working, there are 6.5 hours of the day remaining.

If you're like me, you spend an hour to an hour and a half at the gym 3-5 days per week and an hour and a half every Sunday at church. Between extra curricular activities (yours and your children), helping with homework, putting to bed, playtime (depending on the child's age), it's difficult to actually calculate the time we spend with and invest into our children. Not to mention the time spent cooking, cleaning, and simply organizing & preparing for each day. And again if you're like me & enrolled in school, attending classes & completing assignments commands a great deal of time as well.

It often seems as if there's never enough time in the day to get everything done. I end up staying awake late at night completing documentation for work, folding laundry, or finishing some miscellaneous task that didn't get done earlier in the day. I always wish there was more time to enjoy my family/friends, more time to volunteer for causes close to my heart & give back to the community, more time to read good books, write poetry, laugh, & relax.

Every 2-3 months, I find myself re-evaluating how I spend my time, what things & people aren't worthy of my time, and who & what deserves more of my time.

My son and I pray together every morning & night but one thing I realize is that I don't give as much time as I should to studying God's word. I used to attend Bible Study regularly, read from a devotional every morning, and spent my nights reading the the Word but lately, I have been shamefully slack. I need to be held accountable in that area because it's just as important if not even more important than everything else that consumes my time.

We only have 24 hours in a day & the truth is that we never know when those days will end. Life is too short to be concerned with people who don't matter or worrying about situations beyond our control. Make the most of your time while you can. Cherish the special times with loved ones, enjoy all that life has to offer, and make sure to spend time with God now if you're praying to spend an eternity with Him later.

1 comment:

  1. "Time is tight"! Its so important go make time for the things that really matter. Upon having a busy schedule with work there are so many distractions that can cause us to lose focus on what's really important.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP