Thursday, July 29, 2010

EXCESS BAGGAGE

Baggage…. We all have it. Some of us have carry ons, some of us have medium sized duffle bags, and some of us have a full luggage set. Some of us carry our baggage on our shoulders, some of us carry it on our backs, some of us in our hands, and some of us carry it all over us. We carry baggage to work, on vacation, and in our relationships… we carry baggage EVERYWHERE and then have the nerve to wonder why we feel so heavy and weighted down.

Some of us are juggling so much baggage that the look of exhaustion and being overwhelmed causes others to feel obligated to assist & ask, “Do you need help with that?” And then some of us are fumbling, fidgeting, & stumbling so much with our baggage & literally force it unto others, disregarding the fact that perhaps others have their own bag(s) to carry and its not their responsibility to carry our luggage just because we over pack with so many unnecessary items.

Speaking only for myself, I have even more recently come to realize that I have been carrying other folk’s baggage for a long while & its time that I let everyone know that this will not and cannot continue. Please don’t mistake what I’m saying… its not that I don’t love you because I do, its not that I’m not praying for you because I am but the fact of the matter is that your baggage has taken over my storage room, leaves no space in my car trunk, and has completely cluttered my closets. YOUR baggage CANNOT consume my life. If I’ve tried to help you with your addiction (alcoholism, gambling, drugs, etc.) and you have not accepted my help or made any efforts for your own treatment, then that is YOUR issue/YOUR baggage. If I’ve extended myself to you as a friend, offered you support and sincerely meant you well and you betray that, then that is YOUR issue/YOUR baggage. If after years of no communication, I extend an invitation for closure because I’ve long ago forgiven you but you have not forgiven me, then that is YOUR issue/YOUR baggage. If you make a mess of the relationships in your life & choose not to learn from them yet continue to do the same things expecting different results, then that is YOUR issue/YOUR baggage.

I don’t mean to sound selfish or as if I don’t care about other people’s baggage because I do care. But I can’t care more about your stuff than you do. Stop balling your things up & throwing them in the bag! Take the time to carefully evaluate your things, fold them neatly and determine if it is in fact something that is truly needed in your travels on this beautiful journey of life. Psalm 55:22 says “Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall.” I’m not perfect, I admit, I may have a small carry on bag. But we all have to learn to allow God to carry our baggage… allow Him to take charge of how we pack.

So pack light… the cost of the luggage set isn’t worth the weight it carries. Release yourself from the bondage of excess baggage. "Ain't no feeling like being FREE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP