Monday, August 16, 2010

A Birthday Tribute

On this day, 35 years ago, even before my own existence, God blessed me with the best big sister that a girl could ever wish for. Growing up, I remember my sister always fighting for me and/or making sure that nobody messed with me because even though I got on her nerves, she still had my back. Then, that used to aggravate me because people thought that I couldn’t fight for myself. Now as an adult, I appreciate that she demonstrated such a need to protect me. And to this day, I know that come hell or high water if there is no one else on this earth that I can depend on, I can depend on my sister. We share a lot of the same special and wonderful memories including family cookouts with dozens of cousins, Grandma making us go to vacation Bible school every summer and 5 years of piano lessons with Ms. Harris, walking up the long dirt path at Rt. 1 Box 212 after school, and sitting on the curb at Lip’s house on New Bern Avenue with Sonia pointing at cars saying “that’s my blue car”, “that’s my red car” or looking in catalogs or as we called them “wish books” rubbing pictures of things saying slowly, “that’s mines”. Or Uncle Howard riding his motorcycle to Grandma’s house to bring us a jar of pickles (but really for my sister because she was his favorite and she was the one who loved pickles). We have funny remembrances that only we understand and know like “cat breath”, “Kimosabe killed the lone ranger” and “you think the grass is greener on the other side!” LOL. We can talk on the telephone 10xs a day or 2 hours a day about the same thing or nothing at all and it seems to never get boring or old. My secrets are safely whispered in my sister’s ears; it is a confidence that will never be broken. The bond that we share is much deeper than that which is visible to others on the surface. I’m so grateful & blessed to not only have a sister but to be able to call my sister, my friend. So thank you for being the Loddy to my Doddy, the Thelma to my Louise, and my #1 ride or die chic! I love you like a fat kid love cake 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP